A Closer Look: Brazilian eSports + Interview

Discussion in 'Articles' started by SWYR, Sep 9, 2012.

1. SWYR Member

The South American scene isn't something we hear a lot of in Europe. Much like the South American economy, the console esports scene in countries such as Mexico (although part of North America) and Brazil is vastly growing. Where the trend seems to be that console esports are mostly played on Microsoft's Xbox 360, the South American scene prefers Sony's PlayStation 3.

In this article we will focus on Brazil, South America's biggest and highest populated country. Like the European PS3 scene has EUeSports.com as community website and EGL as LAN event, the Brazilians have respectively cybergamers.com.br and #CyberLan.

[IMG]

We sat down with three Brazilian COD esports players to find out more about the Brazilian console esports scene and how it compares to European esports scene.

SWYRx: Welcome guys, I’m SWYRx – New EUeSports.com content staff and EGL staff. I’ll be the host for today. Can you please introduce yourselves?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: Sure, My name is Joao Muniz, 25, My PSN is TonyMontanaBr_, Coach of MIB (Made in Brazil) and have been playing cod for about 5 years.

JeFF: My name is Jefferson Carneiro, but you can call me Jeff, 21 years old, SAKA_uJeFFF_ is my PSN, Founder/Admin/CEO and baby sister of Saka Team (laughs), 2 years’ experience playing cod.

DuKee: Eduardo Duque, 17 years old, my PSN is IDuKee_. F/A at the moment (any teams looking for an Objective player I'm right here! (laughs))

SWYRx: To kick-off, can you give us an overview of the Brazilian Call of Duty console esports scene?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: Well, we play the same rules as GB variant, not Decerto. There are little over 100 active Brazilian teams. About fifteen of those teams are “professional”. The community is VERY active and it is growing amazingly fast. I think we have a bright future ahead of us as more and more teams become professional and get international sponsorships and exposure.

SWYRx: Is there a specific reason you are using GB/MLG rulesets instead of Decerto’s?
    JeFF: Here in Brazil we follow North American trends, whatever you want, fashion, music, equipment etc. Because of this, we always based rules on GameBattles and expand on them and make edits.

J.P "Tony" Muniz: Yea, we base rules on GameBattles but not everything. In online tournaments, the coach of the team can spectate. Since the internet in Brazil is really bad, the coach can join the game if a player gets disconnected but only on the following round.

Other than that; no machine pistols, no type95 and we don’t play Dome and Hardhat S&D. The rest is pretty much the same as GameBattles Ruleset.

SWYRx: What teams do you guys play in?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: Made In Brasil
    JeFF: Saka Team
    JeFF: Saka = Search and Kill All (laughs)

[IMG]..............................[IMG]

SWYRx: What games are played in the esports scene besides COD?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: There’s a big League of Legends scene here, but I can’t really speak for them because I don’t know anything about them and the game.

JeFF: I can add to that. Riot Games [League of Legends publisher/developer] recently arrived in Brazil and set up a championship with a prize pool of $80.000. This motivated many Call of Duty organizations to turn into an organization of multiple games.

Here in Brazil there are few companies that sponsor console teams, so some organizations have started a team in League of Legends to create a bridge between pc and console. This made it more attractive for sponsors top invest in the organizations teams.

SWYRx: Now a more provoking question, how do you think Brazilian PS3 COD teams compare to European ones? Would the best Brazilian PS3 team be able to beat Roughnex - by the community seen as the best PS3 COD team?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz:Yes, I think the teams from here can definitely play head to head with the EU teams, we have seen them play on streams and stuff and I can tell we are not too far apart. But unfortunately we can only prove that on LAN, online wouldn’t work.

SWYRx: Have you heard of EGL? If so, what do you think of it?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: Yes, I always watch the stream when they have tournaments, and I think it’s a great thing they are doing supporting the competitive MW3 community. They didn’t jump on the MLG bandwagon.

SWYRx: With more US teams showing support for EGL and coming down to Europe to compete, do you think Brazilian teams will follow and enter EGL events as well in the future?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: I really hope so, we have great players and great teams here in Brazil but unfortunately we don’t have the same "sponsorship power" that the US teams have, meaning that we would have to pay for all of our expenses and that makes it almost impossible because most of the players are still in school and don’t have jobs.

There are teams here getting sponsored but mostly with gear and equipment, no money yet.

SWYRx: To give our readers an idea of the prices in Brazil: we always hear that consoles are very expensive in Brazil. Can you give an example of how much they cost?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: A 250GB ps3 costs about 550 US dollars here at an "authorized" seller. A game costs as much as 120 US dollars.

JeFF: In Brazil tony? No, authorized seller is 700 dollars, in department stores for example. At unauthorized seller the price is 500-550 dollars.

SWYRx: WOW
    JeFF: I know many gamers who only buy one game a year, Call of Duty.

J.P "Tony" Muniz: 70% of the players have ways of getting it cheaper. For example: eBay and friends that live in other countries. The government charges really high taxes for stuff that comes from out of the country

Sometimes we even have to pay for stuff that sponsors send us because it gets held at customs and they think that we bought the product and told the sender to mark it as gift on the package.

SWYRx: What are the top 5 teams COD PS3 Brazil?
    JeFF: Based on the last play-offs, which brought together more than 100 teams; First absolute champion of everything, Made In Brasil (I hate this) (laughs). Secondly, Serial Killers. Third, Saka Team. Fourth, No Limits. Fifth place is a tie (Tony agrees). Death Machines and Unstoppable Killers for the 5th spot.

SWYRx: Does the Brazilian scene have its own EUeSports.com kind of website?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: Yes. We have http://cybergamers.com.br/ . The league's site is being redesigned though. The community outgrew the website and they are making a brand new one. It looks like shit now but it’s going to be done in about a month or so. They always have tournaments, every month. This helps keeping the community active.

SWYR: What do you guys think of Black Ops 2? Thoughts on the game and how will it be for esports?
    JeFF: One word, fantastic, at least that's what I hope.

J.P "Tony" Muniz: I think Black Ops 2 will be the best Call of Duty ever made for the competitive scene. Since a lot of [esports] pro’s helped with the development. Plus Vonderhaar [Treyarch's Game Designer Director] is a big fan of competitive gaming and he would not let us down!

SWYRx: We are nearing to the end of this interview. Any final words?
    J.P "Tony" Muniz: Shout out to my team, Made in Brasil (MIB).

JeFF: I thank you for your time spent with us, thanks for listening to our community.

DuKee: Shoutout to EUeSports.com for doing this great interview and hopefully the Brazilian Community will grow even faster ;) <3

SWYRx: Thanks for your time guys!

You can follow the guys on twitter here: @TonyMontanaPRO @uJeFFF @IDuKee_

--

About me: Hi, I am SWYRx. I recently joined EUeSports.com staff as content writer and this article here is my first piece of work. I have been around the console scene since the early PS2 days playing games like Battlefield Modern Combat and TimeSplitters. I had several staff roles at ConsoleGaming.eu and became EGL staff since it took ConsoleGaming.eu over. If you ever have any questions about me, EUeSports, EGL or anything related or if you have tips on news/articles/interviews - feel free to drop me a PM!

Also feel free to add me on PSN: SWYRx
    Lestyy, J0shJH, CooperR and 14 others like this.
  2. Hamilton Well-Known Member

Amazing article.. Such a good read.

Well done on this.
  3. Shizzle Active Member

That event looks pretty sick, would be amazing if a team from South America came over to EGL for any game. A few iSeries back a Brazilian CS team came over and caused a few upsets.
  4. IDukee Member

PSN:
    Caliber-DuKe
    Twitter:
    @Caliber_Dukee
    YouTube:
    www.youtube.com/lIDuKee
    ur8 m8s! DuKee here ;) Once again, I want to thank EUeSports for doing this Great article about the Brazilian Community. I wish both the Brazilians and EUeSports the best.

PS. Didn't said much in the interview because this is ALL about them ;P At least I helped Marking Brazil on the Cod competitive map. lolz
    TheHatchetMan likes this.
  5. GGK Management

PSN:
    EndLine-GGK
    Twitter:
    @ThaGGK
    YouTube:
    EUeSportsFrance
    Wow, didn"t even know there was an esport scene out there. Really good read !

@SWYR Are you Sawyer from CG ?
    The Dean likes this.
  6. HUGZ Management

PSN:
    HUGZ-
    Twitter:
    @P_HUGZ
    good job SWYR, enjoyed that! great to see how well their scene is doing, especially as it's on the PS3.
  7. SWYR Member

Yes! Sup WZRDCUD!?
  8. EcK Oh Management

PSN:
    Le-EcKo
    Twitter:
    @KHawkeyy
    He is.

Amazed at the costs for a game / console though in Brazil
  9. Betrayed Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Betrayed
    Twitter:
    @RNX_Betrayed
    YouTube:
    RoughNeXTV
    Such a good read! Well damn played!

Thought me a lot and some good info as a GM for RNX haha :D
  10. Sam95x Active Member

How many teams do they generally get for there lans? :)
  11. IDukee Member

PSN:
    Caliber-DuKe
    Twitter:
    @Caliber_Dukee
    YouTube:
    www.youtube.com/lIDuKee
    They had only 1 LAN, and only invited teams (TOP 8) went... hopefully next LAN they can get +30 Teams who knows...
    Sam95x likes this.
  12. GENERIC Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Generic bT
    Twitter:
    @genericeu
    YouTube:
    euesgeneric
    cheers, didn't know who made the ps3
  13. SterreXx Active Member

Very good read!
  14. Sledge Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Silvrr
    Twitter:
    @SledgersTC
    i want to see an interview done with them KsA cunts and their tramp internet
  15. bigJAMIEE Active Member

PSN:
    bigJAMIEE
    Twitter:
    @VyingJamie
    Good read, I hope the Brazilians do keep it up.
  16. The__Malteser 1st Member Title Made on EUeS V2

PSN:
    The__Malteser
    Twitter:
    @NikiMicallef
    YouTube:
    MrNikiMicallef
    Never knew there was a thriving competitive community in Brazil, or anywhere in South America for that matter.

Well done.
  17. Ian "Intel" Agostini Active Member

I was actually born in Venezuela, so seeing that South America has an involvement in eSports feels great. Would like to see one of their teams to attend a UK LAN.
    Jonesy likes this.
  18. Jonesy Well-Known Member

PSN:
    xZJonesyZx
    eQ to fund brazillian team for EGL8 heard it here first :shifty:
    IDukee and Ian A. like this.
  19. IMathi Member

PSN:
    IMathi
    Twitter:
    @@iMathii
    Cant believe im not the only Venezuelan on Euesports...
    Ian A. likes this.
  20. IDukee Member

PSN:
    Caliber-DuKe
    Twitter:
    @Caliber_Dukee
    YouTube:
    www.youtube.com/lIDuKee
    LoLz, if so contact me via Twitter or skype... I might have some TOP 5 teams interested in that ahah ;)
  21. Dodge Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dodgski
    Twitter:
    @Dodge_FFWD
    YouTube:
    Youtube.com/TheDodgeTV
    Would be quality to see the best Brazilian team come over to EGL8 or EGL9 for PS3.

OT good read nice to see such a large community reppin' the PS3 over the XBOX.
  22. Lov New Member

PSN:
    LovSlade
    Twitter:
    @@ssofgaming
    YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SSOFChannel?feature=CAQQwRs%3D
    SSOF GAMING is TOP 3 Brazilian TEAM from CyberLAN 2012 and SAKA got Third in Tiger Brazilian Playoffs
    UK (Unstoppable Killers) TEAM got good positions in the last Cup's and may deserve a TOP3 too.
    We have good brazilians team's growing up faster.
    We gonna have a new brazilian playoffs next weekend, probably that positions will gonna change.

PSN ID and SKYPE: LovSlade Co-Founder/Admin/CEO of SSOF GAMING
    5 Years Experience in COD